Sunday, July 10, 2016

Of What are Stars Wrought?




What are stars made of? ‘Tis a question I often hear
One time I took an astronomy class
To learn a star is a burning ball of gas
Hah! Next time they’ll me stars are made of crabgrass

Stars are made of blue moons
Held aloft with lead balloons
And treasure chests full of coconut macaroons
Which Daisy insists are enchanted gold doubloons

And stars are made of pomes
“Let me see that,” said Daisy dear
“Stars are made of pomes?
What; you mean like apples and pears?”

Which only goes to show what it shows
What truth may be found in error in one’s typos
And where I couldn’t swear to apple and pear
There might be stars of grapefruit, I suppose

Stars are made of dances and airs
Intricate melodies and tunes
In which are mixed one's fervent prayers
With the cries of cranes and loons

The stars are made of ethereal words
Hatched from the eggs of mellifluent birds
Which, to the song of harp and lyre
Go forth in tongues of silver fire

No comments:

Post a Comment